Kolkata Knight Riders’ Kamlesh Nagarkoti has been ruled out of the Indian Premier League, the team’s assistant coach, Simon Katich, confirmed on Thursday.
“Kamlesh Nagarkoti has had a back problem for a while now. He hasn’t played any domestic cricket. Last year, when broke down during the IPL, he hasn’t played for Rajasthan (after that). He is an exciting young prospect, hopefully he will (be back) with rehab,” Katich said.
Read: Warrier joins KKR
On Wednesday, Kerala pacer Sandeep Warrier was roped in by the Kolkata franchise, but Katich indicated that they are still waiting for the BCCI clearance. “In terms of a replacement player, the BCCI has to clear it. Sandeep has been practising with us, but hasn’t been confirmed yet,” Katich said.
Last season too, Nagarkoti missed out on the entire season due to an injury, despite that the franchise retained him for this season.
There is also talk that Shivam Maviwill also be out of action for six months due to a stress fracture in his back. However, there is no official word on this.
Nagarkoti and Mavi were the heroes of the U-19 World Cup held in New Zealand early last year. The young fast bowlers captured the imagination of fans by clocking speeds in excess of 140kmph.
Battling injuries, Nagarkoti was hopeful of a good outing with KKR once he started playing.